Treasured gifts from my students

I am fortunate to have been able to learn from classroom experience while I study. I have worked as a Teacher-on-call (non-cert) for School District 27, Cariboo-Chilcotin, covering classes from grades Kindergarten through twelve, including special education and alternative education programs. I have also been hired for two classroom assignments. The first was a part-time position at Lac La Hache elementary, in a grade four through seven split class.  The second was a full-time position in a grade seven class at Mile 108 Elementary.  These two assignments guided my decision of choosing to teach the upper-intermediate grades.

I was mentored through these three years by incredibly talented teachers and administrators.  I learned how to complete unit and lesson plans, day plans, weekly schedules, and yearly overview. I was also exposed to a wide range of assessment methods, including the Freshgrade online reporting system.  One of the most valuable learning components of these classroom assignments was that they required me to thoroughly learn the new BC Curriculum for the intermediate grades. I feel that this has been a tremendous asset to my first year of the Education program at Thompson Rivers University.

Mile 108 Christmas Play program

Below is a sample of my Weekly and Day plan from Mile 108 Elementary:

Helmer Day Plan Mile 108