My name is Donri Athena Helmer, and my decision to pursue a Bachelor of Education is fueled by previous years of teaching experience, all under the new BC Curriculum. An administrator encouraged me to apply for a position as a teacher on call because I previously had four children enrolled in School District 27 and am well known by both students and staff. Growing up with two parents as teachers, I often wonder why I didn’t choose this profession upon completion of high school. In retrospect, I know that my life and teaching experiences were the sparks to ignite a new-found passion, even if well into my adult years.

As I reflect upon the driving factors into my decision to become a teacher, it is clear to me that witnessing the difference a dedicated teacher makes in a child’s life has been the dominant influence. This credit goes in full to my husband, an experienced grade seven teacher, whose first advice to me was “get to know your students.” I observed how his passion and talent for teaching inspired his students to learn to the best of their abilities. He took the time to learn about every one of them, treating them like valued citizens within his classroom community. His inspiration and mentoring have helped me develop my teaching philosophy, “It is not about you; it is about them.”

Different life-experiences have benefitted my teaching career thus far. I am a certified fitness instructor and help train our local Junior B hockey team, the 100 Mile House Wranglers. I was the assistant rowing coach for the South Cariboo Junior Rowing team when they attended the BC Summer Games in 2016, and I am a competitive singles rower. My interaction with youth extends well beyond the classroom walls. Furthermore, my employment with the school district has provided me with excellent learning opportunities to prepare me for future classrooms while developing a rapport for students, teachers, and parents in my local community.

Although I find that a teacher never truly “leaves” the classroom, my passion outside the school building is rowing. I row with the Fort Langley Community Rowing Club and own a single racing shell. My husband and I also enjoy hiking and explore many places in British Columbia, as well as the Kalalau Trail on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai. I appreciate the soul-refreshing experiences that I have with my husband and value the chances we get to interact with the outdoors. I am thankful for the opportunity to complete my Bachelor of Education at Thompson Rivers University, and look forward to my future teaching assignments.