Dornbirn, Austria, 2007 (World Gymnaestrada Event)

The Technical School that housed our Canadian Gymnasts

Austria teaches kids how to recycle. In 2007, they demonstrated an advanced environmental awareness and desire to educate the young people of their country about sustainability and global preservation.

I attended this event as a chaperone and an assistant to my daughter’s rhythmic gymnastics team.  The World Gymneastrada was a gathering of gymnastic groups from around the globe.  The teams were of all ages and genres, brought together showcase their creativity and talents.  This was an incredible opportunity to support an international sports performance celebration, and I met people from many diverse nations. Despite the language barriers, we did our best to communicate. For example, we often traded items such as pins, shirts, and backpacks. My daughter befriended a young girl from the Netherlands who spoke very little English. With some gestures and simple English, the two of them were able to arrange a meeting place to exchange backpacks.

Great Britain, 1991 (Musical Theatre Experience)

In my youth, I took classical ballet, piano, and singing lessons.  I became passionate about classical singing and musical theatre. I was fortunate to be able to travel to London and attended two musical theatre performances by Andrew Lloyd Webber; The Phantom of the Opera and Aspects of Love.

During my stay, I toured the country and was exposed to different cultures and traditions such as street festivals and English cuisine. Communication was simple without a language barrier so it was easy to ask questions if curious about something.  While there, I met up with a friend whose husband was born in England. He showed us various sights and explained about the different accents of citizens from different areas of England.  I did notice that even within London there were different dialects spoken.  This taught me how language can change even within one country.

Heading to attend The Phantom of the Opera at Prince of Wales Theatre in London, England.

Hawaii (Kauai, Maui, Oahu) Travel, Environmental Connection 2012-2019 

(5 SEPARATE TRIPS)

My first experience in Hawaii was to hike the Kalalau Trail in Kauai.  The local people of Kauai are very private and protective of their Island.  They welcome tourists but are always ensuring that they protect the land on which they are a guest. The Hawaiians value family celebrations and are often seen in large group gatherings with many generations coming together.

Kalalau Beach is considered sacred by the people of Kauai, and the only access is to hike the challenging Kalalau trail or land on the beach by kayak.  No motor access is allowed and the beach is patrolled by the State of Hawaii. After completing the eleven-mile trail to arrive at the Kalalau, my husband I could sense the spirituality of this “Garden of Eden.” We could understand why the local people resent the helicopters that fly over the beach trying to steal a glimpse of this special place.  Even though I am full support of equity, I feel that there are some places that should only be reached by the power of the human body.  Kalalau is one such place where such nature should be preserved and commercialism is prevented. On our next visit to Kauai, we kayaked the Napali Coast of Kauai in order to visit the sacred Kalalau Beach once again, using only natural human power. This was a special learning experience to witness how Hawaiian people value the connection with their natural land. It made me ponder what global environmental damage could have been prevented if people cared for their land the way that the Hawaiians do.

Kalalau Beach, Kauai 2016

The sacred Kalalau Beach, Kauai, Hawaii, USA

Our subsequent visits to Maui and Oahu have all involved activities that avoid destructive tourist activities.  We snorkel off the shores of quiet beaches and have participated in two environmentally-sustained shark dives in Haleiwa, Oahu. We enjoy staying in smaller towns where we have the opportunity to interact with the local people and learn about their cultures and traditions. For example, we were told where to buy produce from smaller farms to support the local economy.

Viewing Galapagos sharks off the shore of Haleiwa, Oahu.(Sustainable snorkel trip, no cages)

A Zebra Moray eel in its natural habitat, off the shore of Three Tables Beach, Oahu, Hawaii.

Mexico (2005, 2008) Travel, cultural exposure

I traveled to Mexico twice, once to Puerto Vallarta and the other to Cancun.  I do not speak Spanish, but fortunately, many of the people also spoke English.  During my visits, I was exposed to different cuisine and a relaxed lifestyle compared to that in Canada.  Even though I was in a tourist area I still noticed that the local people placed a high value on nature.  For example, school children in full uniform would often stroll on the beach for their lunch breaks or an outdoor lesson.  I enjoyed the exotic wildlife of the area for which the Mexicans have tremendous respect.  Protected turtles were kept safe from curious tourists with ropes.  I was lucky to see a group of newly hatched turtles make their way back to the ocean!  I also learned that many local vendors would bring their wares to the beach daily instead of having a store as we do in Canada.  Every day a man transported heavy wood carvings to his spot on the beach.  I recognized the effort that these people made to earn a small amount of money for their families. At this point, I realized how lucky I am for the employment opportunities that I am given in my country.

TOTAL POINTS CLAIMED FOR THIS SECTION: 5

TRU Verification Forms:

Austria

Hawaii

Mexico

London